Thursday, April 15, 2010

UNICORNS AND FAIRIES



Do you ever wish that you were 6 years old again? Some days I do. They were so simple! Your biggest worry was if your parents would let you stay outside and play past dark so that you could catch a lightning bug. A few weeks ago I had the pleasure to nanny for three little darlings. Grayson and Addie are 4 and 2 respectively and are brother and sister. Their sweet friend Paise came over to play that evening as well. I must tell you that I was extremely excited and decided to bring my favorite childhood movie over for them to enjoy. The Last Unicorn. I own it, however it is on VHS so I don't get around to watching it too often. The Last Unicorn is about a beautiful unicorn who figures out that she is the last one on earth. The rest of the unicorns are being held captive by the Red Bull. She begins a journey to find and save her fellow unicorn family.

Well, Paise had many questions for me about unicorns, the most important of which was, "Erin, are unicorns real?" There is only one good way of answering this question. I replied, "Well, some people say they are not; however I believe in my heart that they are real." This made Paise very excited in which she responded, "Oh, Erin! That is EXACTLY how I feel about fairies! My mother says that every time you hear a "biiiiiiiiiiiing" that a fairy has just been born." This was of course an opportune time for my cell phone to go off with a text message a few rooms away. Hearing this, Paise started jumping up and down with excitement exclaiming, "Did you hear that, Erin. A fairy has JUST been born!"



Don't you wish that we could be so excited about beautiful make-believes? I still think it is fun. A few days later I was reading Anne of Windy Poplars and Anne was writing a letter to her beloved Gilbert about a map of fairyland that she was making with her young next door neighbor, Elizabeth. I loved the passage so I thought I would share.

"Our map isn't completed yet..... every day we think of something more to go in it. Last night we located the house of the Witch of the Snow and drew a triple hill, covered completely by wild cherry trees in bloom, behind it. (By the way, I want some wild cherry trees near our house of dreams, Gilbert.) Of course we have a Tomorrow on the map....located east of Today and west of Yesterday.....and we have no end of 'times' in fairyland. Spring-time, long time, short time, new-moon time, good-night time, next time.....but no last time, because that is too sad a time for fairyland; old time, young time.....because if there is an old time there ought to be a young time, too; mountain time....because that has such a fascinating sound; night-time and day-time...but no bed-time or school-time; Christmas-time; no only time, because that is also too sad....but lost time, because it is so nice to find it; some time, good time, fast time, slow time, half-past kissing time, going-home time, and time immemorial...which is one of the most beautiful phrases in the world. And we have cunning little red arrows pointing everywhere. But, oh, Gilbert, don't let's ever grow too old and wise....no, not too old and silly for fairyland." - Anne Shirley

XOXO


2 comments:

  1. You are one special person Erin and I feel extremely fortunate to have you in our lives. By the way, don't let me forget to pay you for the late charges on the movie!! :)
    We love you! -----Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, you are awesome! I too believe that fairies and unicorns are real,down in my heart. I also believe pegasus and mermaids are too. :)

    ReplyDelete