Tuesday, January 5, 2010

NEW YEAR: SIMPLE PLEASURES

Hi Lovies! So, yes, here I am starting out on this whole blog thing for a few reasons. One, most of my pretty friends are getting married, having babies, and starting blogs. So I should probably keep up. Two, I like writing and remembering- so this is the best of both worlds. <3


So, it is a New Year and really I can't believe that it is 2010. I started thinking about where I was 10 years ago on New Years and had the sweet memory of being very sick and missing a NYE celebration with my best friends from high school at Shannon Wilhite's house. We were 16 and were super excited about drinking sparkling grape juice out of champagne glasses. This year was definitely fun and a nice start. Nothing like good friends and 80's music to kick off a new decade. Here is a picture of my good friends Jenny, Janae, and I dressed in our festive New Years Eve garb before heading out.



Growing up, we always spent New Year's Day at our friend Roy Robbin's home on Mud Island in Downtown Memphis. It is one of the most memorable traditions I have of growing up, and hope that one day I will be able to have something like that in my home. Roy always has all of his close friends over for a "drop-in" meal throughout the day. Some of the menu items typically included are homemade bar-b-que shrimp, seafood gumbo, raspberry cheesecake, and sweet potato and pecan pie with Chantilly cream sauce. Probably the best meal I eat all year. But this year New Year's Day was spent in Nashville and was very pleasant. Janae spent the night with me and we woke up, watched Breakfast at Tiffany's in our PJ's, and ordered pizza. AND THEN!!! it was time for the New Year's resolutions. Since I am currently very content with life, I thought I should make a list of fun things I want to do or accomplish this year. I am still not done with my list, but here are a few of my favorites......


Watch the sunset from somewhere high up with a bottle of wine....and a friend

Finish learning to play the piano

Road trip with no plans

Find somewhere dark in Nashville and watch the stars for a while

DECK FURNITURE!!! - so I can actually utilize my pretty deck

WRITE

Praying specifically

Send more cards just because

Finish the Anne of Avonlea series....(I'm on book 3. L.M. Montgomery is the best thing that ever happened to girls who love adjectives)

Plant a pretty garden

Buy a shaggy rug for in front of my fireplace

Multi-media collage

Make a homemade pie

Go horseback riding (Pretty sure it has been at least 10 years....)

Build a pillow fort and watch movies like when I was 10

Do something I wouldn't normally do (I feel that this has been accomplished with the fact that I just bought a pair of skinny jeans...that counts right?)

Have a picnic

Keep an open heart

Trust God daily

Love.


So- to 2010. I think it is going to be a year of special moments with new friends and old, a year of growth, a year of love, and a year of simple pleasures.




"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." - L.M. Montgomery in Anne of Avonlea


XOXO


No comments:

Post a Comment